Hamomi Children’s Centre improves the lives of orphaned and vulnerable children in Nairobi, Kenya by allowing them to develop into adults with the skills necessary to improve their own social and economic condition.
We offer comprehensive care by creating a safe and nurturing environment through which we provide the widest array of opportunities possible.
We have been a small community project since 1999 and expanded to include our US advocacy arm in 2007. In 2015 we brought on Joy Nafungo, our Executive Director. She is an experienced leader who is taking us into a stage of sustainability that hopes to make us independent of donations in the long term.
Her vision and experience make it an exciting time at Hamomi!
At Hamomi, we unite short term needs and long term vision. That means continually expanding the basic services we provide, while simultaneously investing in our sustainability. In 2013, with the purchase of land, we completed our first Five-Year Strategic Plan, (in four years). This has allowed us to turn a corner into a very bright new era of building and investing in our long term sustainable vision.
In 2016, this approach continues. We provide basic services and a strong education, while simultaneously designing permanent structures to sustainably fit the needs of our 120 students, 43 scholarship recipients and 13 staff members.
Critical Steps Moving Forward:
- Designing and building permanent structures which we can develop into a profitable school that functions free of donations by enrolling 120 paying students who compensate for the 120 disadvantaged students.
- Transitioning the Hamomi Secondary School Scholarship Recipients into Hamomi University Scholarship Recipients.
- Expanding the social businesses we have founded to create more jobs for parents, guardians and alumni.
- Teaching social business principles to alumni and investing in their business ideas.
Can I Write Off My Donation On My Taxes?
Hamomi is a sponsored project of Greater Tomorrow, a registered 501c3 nonprofit organization. Your donations are processed through them. This is how we keep administrative costs low (under 10%) and are able to stay focused on programs rather than paperwork.
The only time that your donations are not tax-deductible are if you receive something of value in return for them. For example, if you attend the silent auction and buy a package valued at $80 for $100 – only $20 is tax-deductible.
How Can I Volunteer My Time?
You can volunteer in many different ways.
At Hamomi in Nairobi:
- Visit our Volunteer page.
- Read blog entry about volunteering.
- Read Volunteer Brochure.
- Read Volunteer Testimonials.
- Send in your Volunteer Application.
- Join an Event Committee.
- Join our Board of Directors.
- Put on your own fundraiser – we can help with ideas.
- Become an intern – read more.
Where Are Your Offices Located?
Hamomi Children’s Centre is located in Nairobi, Kenya in the Kangemi slum. If you are ever in Nairobi even for a day, we would love for you to visit and see our work.
Hamomi-USA has offices at 6905 Carleton Ave S, Seattle, WA 98108. That is where our advocacy arm is headquartered, but people can participate remotely from anywhere. You are always welcome to stop in and see our work, if you are in Seattle.